My DIY Weekend


I had quite the DIY weekend despite being alone with the kids most of the weekend.  These weren’t huge time consuming projects but just taking a shower with these little monsters around is a huge accomplishment.  I know I don’t have to explain this to the other mommies out there.  Back to my weekend… I have to say, I have had the Pinterest itch for the last few weeks.  It comes and goes but this time it’s sticking around for awhile.  I picked out the fabric for my “no sew” wingback chair makeover last week.  I nervous about that project because that fabric is not cheap!  I have been planning all the details for my guest/kids bathroom makeover.  I’ll have to wait till after our vacation next month to pull the trigger on a project like that.  My weekend projects weren’t anything big and they weren’t really planned.   Project 1: Powder Room Bathroom Mirror When we moved in it was a gaudy gold so I painted it.  The problem was I didn’t grab the color I wanted and it turned out to be this weird silver/gray color. Here is the link to my original post (link).  It was supposed to be a bronze color to match most of the fixtures in the powder room.  This time I decided to just paint it silver and plan to purchase a different style mirror in the near future.   I honestly just felt like spray painting something fast and easy and the mirror was the perfect item.  The funny thing is, the original color would probably look fine in my bathroom.  Here are some pics of how it looked when we moved in, after the first paint job and now. 

Original gold color
First paint job.  Mirror wasn’t dirty just had tape goo on it still.
bathroom mirror, spray painting mirror
Current color.  I think it will look nice if I move into my bedroom closet.  

Project 2:  Oversized Print Wall Art My next project started with a simple email I received from Office Max.  I remembered a Pinterest project I had saved a year ago about having engineer size prints made and attaching them to foam board or wood.  I decided to start with the foam board for now and work my way up to wood after I know what I’m doing.  Here is the original link if you’re interested (Link).  I ordered the prints  online and picked them up the next day.  Tip: Order the standard paper weight.  I ordered the heavier paper for the color photo I had enlarged and it was a bit more difficult to wrap around board and it didn’t look any better but it costs me $27… I paid $7.80 for the 2 large black & white 41×41 inch prints.  I had a difficult time finding foam board at Walmart for this size but I know for sure that Office Max had the right size.  I ended up having to wrap the print around the board in the end. I bought a spray adhesive to attach the photo to the board (see photo below).  I was terrified to use it at first but it was very easy and didn’t create any bubbles or wrinkles in the paper.  I also ordered a large color print of the kids but I am not too happy with how it looks.  I will have it redone in a landscape position.  By the way, to have this print blown up on canvas was going to cost me over $75.  Here is how this one turned out.

oversized prints, wall art, creative wall decor
I planned on putting it above our bed but it wasn’t large enough.  I will either keep it here and add more large ones or add it to our bedroom wall with small photos around it.
This was $10 at Office Max but I saw it for $7 at Walmart.  

Project 3:  Operation Playroom This wasn’t really a project as it was more of adding elements to create a bit of an education station on one side of the room.  I’ve been wanting to order alphabet decals but never got around to actually doing it.  I saw some of these letters and numbers at the Dollar Store and decided to buy them to see how they look.  I have to say, for $2 I am okay with it.  This playroom is a work in progress.   I have so many plans for it but it’s not my main focus right now.  Soon.   

Photobucket

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>